Sunday, December 19, 2021

My World of the Bee Gees

I decided to start this blog about the Bee Gees.  I needed a title, and I had two requirements.  I wanted the title to include the group's name as well as the name of the 1972 single "My World." 

I had around a dozen choices and narrowed it down to just a few.  I struggled with which one to choose, but I finally selected "My World of the Bee Gees."  I next had to decide whether to capitalize "the" in the name.  That decision hinged upon whether to consider "the" as part of the group's name, which would require capitalization, or whether to consider "the" as just a definite article.  Since the group's name is currently stylized as "Bee Gees" and has been for many years, using "the" as a definite article is appropriate, and it looks better in the lower case. 

I will tell the story of how I became a fan in my next post.  In short, exposure to the disco hits in 1991 caused me to have a mild interest in the group which lasted for several years.  In 1995, my mild interest caused me to watch a one-hour special about the Bee Gees.  The result was that in one hour I went from being mildly interested in the group to becoming an extreme hardcore fan.  

As the years passed, the song "My World" took on a special significance.  After I had already decided that it was probably my very favorite Bee Gees song, I learned that "My World" was a song that my mother particularly loved when it was first released.  I concluded that I must have heard it in heavy rotation when I was an infant.  That explained my reaction to the one-hour special.  My love of the Bee Gees' music was there all along, and I just needed something to awaken it.

I have developed a bit of an obsession about "My World" due to the dearth of live performances of it.  I gradually found some clips including just one complete performance with good quality video and sound.  

This clip features a complete live performance of "My World" in Italy from 1972.  The song begins at about the one-minute mark.

This is part of a 1972 performance of the song in Italy.



This video is from a 1973 concert in Japan.  The sound and picture is of poor quality.


 


This video contains footage from when the song was recorded in late 1971.




This video contains part of a performance that is repeated during the video.




I have created a Facebook fan page to accompany this blog.

My World of the Bee Gees on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment